The West Seattle Junction was little more than boggy woodland until April 1907, when two streetcar lines were connected at California Avenue SW and SW Alaska Street (then 9th Street). Within a month, a dozen real estate agents had opened offices at what quickly became known as "the Junction." By 1911, the Junction had grown from a ramshackle collection of real-estate offices into a full-fledged business district.
For the complete essay, click here.
Text Credit: HistoryLink.org and Cassandra Tate
The West Seattle Junction Association is a nonprofit which produces community events throughout the year including Art Walk, Wine Walk, Summer Fest, Outdoor Movies, Harvest Festival, and Hometown Holidays. The Junction helps to keep the streets of the Junction safe, clean and beautiful. With the help of the public, we fund the flower baskets that beautify the Junction each summer, and put up the banners and lights that make the junction so pretty.
The Junction Board of Directors:
- Heather Leaman - President - Bakery Nouveau
- Larry Johnson - Vice President- Windermere
- Allison Herzog - Treasurer- The Beer Junction
- Ben Jenkins - Shadowland and Dumplings of Fury
- Frank Gross - Thunder Road Guitars
- Alyssa Kaliszewski - Doll Parts Collective
- Audrey Hartman - Verity Credit Union
- Cory Cote - Mystery Made
- Mara Haveson - Compass
- Kirsten Palmer Bastian- Community member
- Stephanie Carrillo- Junction 47
- Jeffery Silva- Hotwire Coffee
- Jack Miller - Husky Deli